Squid ink can add a touch of drama to many familiar dishes. Photo: Danielle Smith
750g cleaned squid tubes and tentacles
1 tsp smoked paprika
Sea salt and black pepper
100g corn flour or rice flour
Vegetable oil for frying
1 red chilli, finely sliced
1 tsp (4g) black squid ink
150g aioli or egg mayonnaise
1 lemon, quartered
1. Cut the squid tubes into one-centimetre rings and each cluster of tentacles in two, and pat dry. Mix the paprika, sea salt, pepper and flour together. Heat oil in a wok or saucepan until a little cube of bread browns nicely within 30 seconds.
2. Working in batches, coat the squid in flour, shake off excess and fry for about 45 seconds, tossing well, until golden. Fry the red chilli until crisp, and drain.
3. Whisk black squid ink into the aioli, and swirl a spoonful on each plate. Top with fried squid, chilli and lemon wedges.
- Main Ingredients - Squid/Octopus
- Course - Starter/Entree, Main-course, Lunch