Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 1 piece of thinly cut rump steak (or sirloin or porterhouse)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- half an onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- Worcestershire sauce
- a handful baby spinach leaves
- sourdough bread and butter, to serve
- chutney, mustard or tomato sauce, to serve
Season the steak with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-based frying pan till very hot, add a little olive oil and the steak. Cook for a couple of minutes on both sides to your liking then remove to a plate and keep warm while you do the rest.
In the same pan, cook the onion in a little olive oil until golden brown and soft. Add the garlic, cook a little more then add a good dash of Worcestershire sauce. Push the onions to the side and cook the spinach until wilted.
Meanwhile, toast and butter the bread, then assemble the steak sandwich. If you let it sit for a few minutes the juices will mingle and it's even better.
- Main Ingredients - Beef
- Course - Lunch
- Occasion - Family meals