Steamed red mullet with Mediterranean vegetables. Photo: Jennifer Soo
- 500g ripe tomatoes or 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek or small onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 zucchini, finely chopped
- Good pinch ground saffron
- 500mL hot fish or chicken stock or water
- 4 x 180g red mullet fillets or 8 smaller fillets
- Sea salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp small black olives
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley
If using ripe tomatoes, cut in half, squeeze out and discard the seeds and juice and finely chop. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the leek until soft.
the garlic, tomatoes, zucchini, saffron and stock and simmer gently for 20 mins or until zucchini are tender. Season well.
Steam the red mullet in a steamer over simmering water for 5 minutes or until cooked. Season well.
Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the zucchini and form four small mounds of zucchini in the centre of four warm pasta bowls.
Arrange the fish on top and spoon a ladleful of the broth around. Scatter with olives and parsley and serve.
*This recipe is featured in the book Spring which is available now in all good bookstores RRP $34.95. To order direct call 1300 656 059 or visit www.smh.com.au/store.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Cuisine - Spanish
- Course - Main-course