- 400 g (14 oz/2 cups) black rice
- 3 pandan leaves
- 500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) coconut milk
- 80 g (2 3/4 oz/ 2/3 cup) grated palm sugar (jaggery) or soft brown sugar
- 55 g (2 oz/1/4 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- coconut cream, to serve
- diced mango or papaya, to serve
1. Put the rice in a large non-metallic bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak for at least 8 hours, or preferably overnight.
2. Drain the rice, then place in a saucepan with 1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cups) water and slowly bring to the boil. Cook at a low boil, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
3. Pull your fingers through the pandan leaves to shred them, then tie them into a knot. Pour the coconut milk into a large saucepan and heat until almost boiling. Add the pandan leaves, palm sugar and caster sugar and stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes without boiling. Turn off the heat, then cover and leave for 15 minutes for all the flavours to absorb into the rice. Remove the pandan leaves.
5. Spoon into bowls and serve warm, with coconut cream and diced fruit.
- Main Ingredients - Rice
- Cuisine - Thai
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Dinner Party