- For the pudding
- 200g dates, pitted and chopped (medjool dates work best if you can find them)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200ml boiling water
- 80g butter, softened
- 150g soft brown unrefined sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 180g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- For the toffee sauce
- 80g soft brown sugar
- 150ml cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter
For the pudding:
-Heat oven to 180C. Place the dates and bicarb in a heat-proof bowl and add the boiling water. Leave to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until smooth, then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Gently fold in the flour and spices. Add the date liquid and most of the dates, and mix well until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a lightly buttered 24cm x 10cm deep-sided loaf tin or round or square 18cm-diameter cake tin. Press the remaining dates gently into the batter, and bake for 45 minutes or until firm.
For the sauce:
-Bring the sauce ingredients to the boil and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring, until thickened. Cut the pudding into thick wedges or slabs and serve with the sauce and an extra drizzle of cream.
- Tip: For sticky toffee cupcakes, divide the batter between large muffin patty cases and bake for 25 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- Cuisine - British
- Course - Dessert