Stir-fried rice noodles with chicken and squid
These Asian-style noodles are simple yet versatile.
Photo: William Meppem
Have your say
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 boneless chicken thighs, skin off, sliced
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 300g fresh rice noodles
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 50g cleaned squid, sliced
- 2 pieces Chinese mustard greens (available from Asian grocery stores), julienned
- handful bean sprouts
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts
- 2 green (spring) onions, cut into fine rounds, including a little of the green
Heat a wok over a high heat until just smoking and add 1/4 cup oil.
Add the chicken and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until almost cooked.
Remove the chicken from the wok and reserve in a bowl.
Wipe out the wok, place it back on the heat and add the rest of the oil.
When hot, add the garlic and fry for a few seconds.
Add the egg and cook until it just starts to set, then add the noodles and stir well.
Add the soy sauces and stock, and bring to the boil.
Return the chicken to the wok and add the squid.
Cook over a very high heat for 1 minute or until the squid is cooked.
Add the mustard greens, bean sprouts, pepper and sesame oil, and cook for 1 minute, then transfer to a serving dish.
Serve with nuts and onion on the side, or sprinkled over the dish.