Photo: Natalie Boog
- 100ml peanut or olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 knobs ginger, finely sliced into strips
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 6 cobs corn, kernels sliced off
- 1½ litres chicken stock
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 chicken breast, poached in water or chicken stock, finely sliced
- ½ cup coriander leaves
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic and ginger, season and cook over medium heat until soft and starting to colour slightly, about 15 minutes. Season. Add wine and reduce by two-thirds.
Add corn and chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add soy sauce. Pour egg in a steady stream as you stir the soup gently in a circular motion to create egg ribbons.
Put chicken in the base of bowls before pouring hot soup over. Garnish with a few coriander leaves.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Corn
- Cuisine - Chinese
- Course - Starter/Entree