- 90g butter, softened
- 11/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 11/2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 150g brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 80g coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g coarsely grated sweet potato
- 50g butter, softened
- 240g (11/2 cups) icing sugar mixture
- 11/2 - 2 tbspns lemon juice
- 60g (1/2 cup) coarsely chopped pistachios, toasted
To toast pistachio nuts place them on an oven tray lined with baking paper and toast at 200 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Put aside.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Combine butter, flour, cardamom, cinnamon, sugar, milk and eggs in a large bowl and beat on low speed until all ingredients are combined. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and pale.
Stir in nuts, vanilla and sweet potato. Spoon mixture into a greased and paper-lined large loaf tin (13 x 23cm) and spread top evenly with a spatula.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a cake skewer. Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a cake rack to cool.
For frosting, beat butter, icing sugar mixture and lemon juice in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Spread cold cake with frosting and top with pistachios.
- Course - Dessert