- 200g chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- flaked salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 30g grated parmesan cheese
- 80g taleggio cheese, rind removed and cut into small pieces
- crisps or corn chips, to serve
In a large pot, add the drained chickpeas, bay leaves and plenty of cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, skim and reduce heat to a steady simmer. Cook until they have become very soft - 30 minutes to 11/2 hours - this will depend on the chickpeas. You may need to add more water.
Drain, reserving liquid. While still hot, place chickpeas in a blender or food processor with a teaspoon of salt and blend until you have a very smooth puree. This will take several minutes and you will need to add a little of the reserved liquid as the chickpeas are quite dry.
Once you have a very smooth consistency, add the rest of the ingredients and blend until combined. Season to taste and pour into a dipping bowl.
Serve with crisps or corn chips.
- Occasion - Birthday, Cocktail Party