Photo: Quentin Jones
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups jasmine tea leaves
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Rind of ½ a lime
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1½ tbsp grape seed oil or olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 24 scallops, on the half shell, foot and any grit removed
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely sliced
Combine rice, tea and sugar in a bowl to make the smoking mix. Mix together remaining ingredients except scallops and coriander to make the dressing. Line the bottom of a wok with foil and place a one-centimetre layer of smoking mix on the foil.
Arrange as many scallops as you can fit on a rack over the smoking mix. Place on a high heat and when really smoking, cover with a lid or bowl to trap the smoke. Smoke for two minutes or until scallops are a golden colour. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Discard smoking mix. Repeat until all scallops are smoked. Sprinkle with coriander and dress before serving immediately.