- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) red fish fillets, chopped
- 1 lemongrass stem, white part only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) tin coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 egg
- 5 snake (yard long) beans, thinly sliced
- oil, for shallow-frying
1. Place the fish, lemongrass, fish sauce, spring onion, coriander, garlic, coconut milk, sweet chilli sauce and egg in a food processor and mix until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the snake beans. With wet hands, shape into twelve 8 cm (3¼ inch)cakes. Cover on a plate and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. For the sauce, stir the sugar and 80 ml (2½ fl oz/⅓ cup) water in a small saucepan over low heat for 2 minutes, or until all the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the sweet chilli sauce. Cool and stir in the diced cucumber.
3. Heat the oil in a large, deep, heavy-based frying pan and cook the fish cakes in batches over medium heat for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Serve with the sauce.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Cuisine - Thai
- Course - Side Dish, Starter/Entree