- 500 g (1 lb) raw small prawns
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stems lemon grass, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 coriander roots, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped fresh red chillies
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, extra
- 2 spring onions, finely shredded, for garnish
- fresh coriander sprigs, for garnish
1. Peel the prawns and gently pull out the dark vein from each back, starting at the head end.
2. Heat half the oil in a large wok or heavy-based pan. Add the garlic, lemon grass, coriander root and chilli to the wok and stir over medium heat for 20 seconds. Add the prawns to the wok and stir-fry until the prawns change colour. Add the chopped spring onion, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fish sauce and palm sugar to the wok and toss well. Remove from the wok.
3. Beat the eggs, fish sauce and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl until foamy. Add the remaining oil to the wok and swirl around to coat the sides. Heat the wok and, when very hot, pour in the egg and swirl around the wok. Allow to set on the underneath edges, frequently lifting the edges once set, and slightly tilting the wok to let the unset mixture run underneath. Repeat until the omelette is nearly all set.
4. Place three-quarters of the prawn mixture in the centre of the omelette and fold in the sides to form a square, overlapping the sides a little, or simply fold the omelette in half. Slide onto a serving plate and place the remaining prawn mixture on the top. Sprinkle with the shredded spring onion. Garnish with coriander and serve with chilli sauce and steamed rice.
- Main Ingredients - Eggs, Shellfish
- Course - Lunch