Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 4 shallots, very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 long cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1 fresh chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 50g roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves and stems
- fish sauce
- petals from 1 red rose, torn into small pieces
Saute shallots gently and slowly in oil until brown but not burnt. Drain on kitchen paper.
Cut cucumber into 1cm cubes. Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Toss vinegar mixture through cucumber, then add all other ingredients, except fish sauce and rose petals. Season to taste with fish sauce and scatter salad with rose petals.
This is good served with sliced poached chicken breast.
This recipe is featured in the book, Summer which is available now in all good bookstores RRP $34.95. To order direct call 1300 656 059 or visit www.smh.com.au/store
- Cuisine - Thai