- 400 g (14 oz) ready-made or home-made plain sponge cake
- 165 g (5 3/4 oz/1/2 cup) cherry or berry jam (such as raspberry, strawberry, blackberry)
- 1 quantity crème pâtissiére , cooled
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) pouring (whipping) cream, lightly whipped
- 375 ml (13 fl oz/11/2 cups) sweet sherry
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) pouring (whipping) cream, extra, lightly whipped
- 35 g (1 1/4 oz/ 1/3 cup) flaked almonds, toasted
1. Use a long serrated knife to split the sponge cake horizontally (cut the cake in half first to make it easier to handle, if necessary). Spread the jam over the bottom layer of cake, top with the remaining layer and then cut the cake into 3.5 cm (1 1/3 inch) pieces.
2. Use a large metal spoon or spatula to stir the crème pâtissiére in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the cream and fold in until evenly combined.
3. Place one-third of the cake pieces in a 2 litre (70 fl oz/8 cup) glass or ceramic serving bowl, then drizzle with one-third of the sherry. Spoon over one-third of the crème pâtissiére mixture, spreading it as evenly as possible. Continue to make 2 more layers with the remaining cake, sherry and crème pâtissiére mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.
4. To serve, spread the extra cream over the top of the trifle and sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
- Cuisine - British
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Dinner Party