Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil (from the jar of sun dried tomatoes, if possible)
- 375g packet puff pastry
- 25g finely grated parmesan cheese
- 6 heirloom tomatoes (any variety), sliced horizontally
- 1-2 springs fresh thyme, leaves only
- extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
To make sun-dried tomato paste, place sun-dried tomatoes, chilli flakes, garlic and 3 tbsp olive oil in a blender and pulse to form a rough paste.
Preheat oven to 220ºC fan-forced (240ºC conventional). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to make a 20cm x 40cm rectangle. Trim edges with a sharp knife and place on baking tray. Score a 1cm border around edges of pastry, taking care not to cut all the way through.
Prick pastry all over with a fork, spread with sun-dried tomato paste and sprinkle with parmesan. Lay heirloom tomato slices (a mix of varieties can be used) over tart, overlapping, keeping within scored edges, so the base is covered.
Bake tart for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Remove from oven, sprinkle with thyme, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and finish with freshly ground black pepper.
- Main Ingredients - Tomato
- Course - Lunch, Dinner
- Occasion - Picnic