- 220 g (7¾ oz/1 cup) short-grain brown rice
- 100 g (3½ oz) baby English spinach leaves
- 60 g (2¼ oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cauliflower (about 400 g/14 oz in total), cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) milk
- 185 g (6½ oz) tin tuna, drained
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 60 g (2¼ oz/½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 40 g (1½ oz/½ cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4).
Put the rice in a saucepan, then place under cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice well and return to the pan with 625 ml (21½ fl oz/2½ cups) water. Cover the saucepan, bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook the rice for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain again, stir in the spinach, thentransfer the mixture to a 1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cup) baking dish, or four 375 ml (13 fl oz/1½ cup) ramekins.
Melt 20 g (¾ oz) of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3–4 minutes, or until starting to brown, then add the garlic and continue to cook for 1–2 minutes. Add the cauliflower, stir to combine, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes, or until softened.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium–low heat. Add the flour and whisk to a smooth paste.Cook, stirring constantly, for 2–3 minutes, then gradually whisk in the milk until well combined and smooth. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue stirring for 2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened, thenreduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
Pour the sauce into the cauliflower mixture, then add the tuna and mix until well combined. Pour onto the rice mixture and sprinkle with the combined cheese and breadcrumbs.
Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until the topping is golden. Serve hot, sprinkled with the parsley.
- Main Ingredients - Rice
- Course - Dinner
- Occasion - Family meals