Vegetable samosas. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 bird's eye chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 potato, peeled and finely diced
- 200g cauliflower (about ¼ head), broken into small florets
- 1/2 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g pack frozen spring roll pastry, thawed
Heat ghee in a frying pan and gently fry mustard and cumin seeds.
Add onion and fry until softened.
Add chilli, garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes.
Add vegetables and stir well to incorporate.
Add curry powder, water and lemon juice.
Season with salt.
Cook over low heat until vegetables are cooked.
Remove from heat.
Cut spring roll pastry sheets equally into three lengths.
Use a double sheet for each samosa.
Place two teaspoons of mixture at the end of one sheet.
Fold over the double layer to make a triangle shape.
Continue folding over the triangle until you have used up the length of pastry.
Seal with a little water. Repeat until filling and pastry has been used up.
Heat a deep fryer to 180C. Fry samosas in batches until golden brown. Drain. Serve hot.
- Main Ingredients - Potato, Carrot, Cauliflower
- Cuisine - Indian
- Course - Side Dish
- Occasion - Cocktail Party, Picnic, New Years