Whitebait 'chips' with green tabasco mayonnaise. Photo: Marina Oliphant
Canola or vegetable oil for deep-frying
200ml quality mayonnaise
1 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tbsp green Tabasco
3 green chillies, finely chopped, seeds in
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan or deep fryer to 180C.
2. Mix the mayonnaise, yoghurt, Tabasco and chilli with a squeeze of lemon and a little salt.
3. Toss half the whitebait in semolina and fry immediately for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly golden. Drain and season. Repeat with the remaining whitebait and serve piping hot with mayo and lemon wedges.
Styling: Caroline Velik; merchandise: Minimax, The Works, Izzi & Popo.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Course - Snacks, Finger-food, Starter/Entree
- Occasion - Children's Party