Photo: Marina Oliphant
- Bamboo skewers (about 12)
- 100ml soy sauce
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 80ml sake (Japanese rice wine)
- 80ml mirin (sweet rice wine) or sweet sherry
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- Sea salt and pepper
- 3 green (spring) onions, whites only
- 400g chicken thigh fillets, skinless
- 300g chicken livers, trimmed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Drain. In a pan, combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sake, mirin, sugar, salt and pepper. Add a dash of water, then bring to the boil and allow to simmer for five minutes or until thick and syrupy, almost a glaze (beware of burning). Set aside to cool.
Cut chicken and chicken livers into three-centimetre bite-size pieces. Cut spring onions into two-centimetre lengths. Thread the chicken, chicken livers and spring onions alternately onto bamboo skewers and coat well with teriyaki sauce.
Heat a chargrill or barbecue and lightly oil. Grill skewers, turning once, and baste once or twice with marinade for eight to 10 minutes until nicely golden, with scorchy bits. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Cuisine - Japanese
- Course - Main-course