Photo: Edwina Pickles
- 1 packet soft corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) canola oil
- 1white onion, sliced
- 120g fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 5cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2tbsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp ground coriander
- 3tbsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp chilli powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1cup (250ml) water
- 24green medium tiger prawns, peeled and cut into thirds
- Coriander sprigs, to garnish
Heat one cup of oil in a pan and cook the onion until translucent. Put onion and oil mix into a blender with ginger, garlic, spices, salt, 1/2 cup water and pulse until smooth. Combine with remaining water and cook over a low heat for five minutes or until thickened. Allow to cool.
Add the prawns, toss to combine and refrigerate two hours. Heat the remaining 1/2 cup of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the prawns and marinade and cook until they turn bright orange.
Roll the prawns in a soft corn tortilla with a pico de gallo salsa - a fresh mix of diced tomato, finely diced onion, spring onion/shallots, garlic and fresh medium-heat chillies (jalapenos if you can get them).
Dress the salsa with chopped fresh coriander, a little brown sugar, lime juice and salt to taste.
- Main Ingredients - Fish, Shellfish
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Snacks