Summer treat: Zucchini flowers with mozzarella and anchovy. Photo: Edwina Pickles
12 small zucchini with flowers attached
100g mozzarella, drained and diced
6 anchovy fillets, halved
oil for frying
freshly grated parmesan for serving
For the batter
200ml ice-cold sparkling water
125g plain flour, sifted
1 level tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Gently open up the petals of each flower and remove the pistil or stamen, which can be bitter.
2. Push one teaspoon of diced mozzarella and half an anchovy inside, and lightly twist the end of the petals to seal.
3. Heat oil to a depth of two centimetres in a heavy pan until it reaches 180C.
4. To make the batter, beat the egg and add the ice-cold water, lightly mixing with chopsticks. Add the flour, baking powder and salt all at once, mixing lightly until it's quite lumpy and thick.
5. Coat two zucchini and flowers in batter, and fry until golden and crunchy, turning once. Drain well and repeat with remaining zucchini. Scatter with parmesan or sea salt, and serve with a fresh tomato salsa.
- Main Ingredients - Zucchini, Cheese, Fish
- Course - Finger-food, Side Dish, Starter/Entree
- Occasion - Cocktail Party, Dinner Party, New Years