Shock closure ... Ortiga. Photo: Supplied
One of Brisbane's most awarded restaurants Ortiga has announced it is to close.
The news comes close on the heels of this morning's announcement by Philip Johnson that he has closed the doors on his CBD restaurant Bistro One Eleven.
Ortiga's owner Simon Hill told goodfood.com.au they decided not to renew the lease on the Fortitude Valley restaurant “after much consideration.”
Ortiga, restaurant, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. Photo: Supplied
“As we roll on to the end of the year we also find ourselves at the end of the initial Ortiga lease period. Pablo and I have thought endlessly about our future plans and have after much consideration decided not to renew the lease and carry on with Ortiga,” Hill said.
According to Hill, Ortiga had been a “a concept that was ambitious, optimistic and spared little, if any, expense.”
The Spanish restaurant, with Pablo Tordesilla at the helm, has collected a swag of awards over the years, including accolades for its wine list. In 2012 and 2013 it was awarded two hats by the Brisbane Times Queensland Good Food Guide.
Previous to Ortiga, the restaurant ran for almost a decade as the equally successful Isis, under chef Jason Peppler.
“It has been a long and extraordinary ride from opening Isis in 1997 and then Ortiga in 2008 which now marks 16 years' operating in the one location," Hill said.
“However the last five years have seen staggering changes happen to and be forced upon our industry, most notably in industrial relations and these changes simply can no longer be ignored. We have therefore chosen to move on entirely as opposed to cost cutting and downgrading our current product into possibly a more viable future business.”
Final service at Ortiga is scheduled to be held on the evening of Saturday October 26.