Black garlic is fresh garlic that has been aged and fermented until the white cloves turn a glossy jet black. It's popular with chefs for its instant umami richness.
1 whole head of black garlic
60g crustless stale bread
4 tbsp milk or white wine
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tsp thyme leaves
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
Half a beaten egg
Sea salt and pepper
4 chicken breasts, skin on (if the breasts are skinless, wrap with a slice of prosciutto.)
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Peel the garlic cloves and set aside.
2. Soak the bread in milk for 5 minutes, then squeeze out excess milk. Mix the bread with the parsley, thyme, lemon zest, beaten egg, sea salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken breasts skin-side down on a board. Working from the middle, butterfly the breasts, cutting horizontally into the thickest side of meat without cutting right through, then open it like a book and flatten slightly. Season well.
4. Arrange the stuffing and the garlic cloves down the middle of each breast, roll tightly into a cylinder and wrap in plastic wrap for an hour or two until required.
5. To serve, heat the oven to 200 degrees. Pan-fry the chicken in olive oil for 5 minutes until golden, then bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Slice, and serve with peas and rocket leaves, and any pan juices.