A recipe from the Good Food collection.
90 g (3¼ oz) unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
400 g (14 oz) pumpkin (winter squash), peeled, seeded and finely chopped to give 300 g (10½ oz/2 cups)
3 carrots, chopped
2 litres (70 fl oz/8 cups) vegetable or chicken stock, approximately
440 g (15½ oz/2 cups) risotto rice
90 g (3¼ oz/1 cup) shaved pecorino or parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon thyme leaves
1. Heat 60 g (2¼ oz) of the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for 2–3 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
2. Add the pumpkin and carrot and cook for 6–8 minutes, or until tender. Mash the mixture slightly using a potato masher.
3. Meanwhile, pour the stock into a separate saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then cover and keep at simmering point.
4. Add the rice to the vegetables and cook for 1–2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the grains are translucent and heated through. Add 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) of the simmering stock and cook, stirring constantly, until all the stock has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock, 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) at a time, stirring constantly and making sure the stock has been absorbed before adding more. Cook for 20–25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and creamy; you may need slightly less or more stock.
5. Remove from the heat, then add the remaining butter, cheese, nutmeg and thyme. Season with freshly ground black pepper and stir thoroughly. Cover and leave for 5 minutes before serving.