The crispness of fresh carrot, paired with the sweetness of sultanas is marvellous. This is a simple and bright salad recipe that will be memorable.
250g large carrots
1 tbsp castor sugar
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of salt
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp orange flower water
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp orange juice
freshly ground pepper
handful coriander, to garnish
1. Trim and peel the carrots.
2. Julienne the carrots. Place in a small saucepan and add the sugar, cinnamon stick, salt and lemon juice, then cover with water.
3. Bring to the boil, then simmer until tender; about 5 minutes. Drain the carrots in a sieve set over a bowl and use the hot liquid to soak the sultanas.
4. Once they've cooled, drain the sultanas and mix with the carrots, orange flower water, extra virgin olive oil and orange juice.
5. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, garnish with coriander, then serve.
Serve with Neil Perry's Moroccan chicken pie.