These fresh cupcakes are moist with carrots and dried fruit, enlivened by cinnamon and freshened with curls of candied carrot and sprigs of dill.
1 tsp vanilla extract
2½ cups grated carrot (about 3 carrots)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup light olive oil
1 cup almond meal
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾ cup brown sugar
3 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup raisins
¾ cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup castor sugar
2 carrots, spiralised or cut into thin matchsticks
Cream cheese icing
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
½ cup icing sugar, sifted
12 small sprigs of dill
1. Heat your oven to 170°C. Combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl, then fold in the remaining ingredients until just combined.
2. Divide the mixture among a 12-hole muffin pan. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
3. For the candied carrot, combine the sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
4. Bring to the boil, then add the carrot and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove the carrot and gently spread out onto a lined tray to cool.
6. For the icing, beat the cream cheese, lemon rind and icing sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
7. Ice the cupcakes with a spatula, then garnish with candied carrot and sprigs of dill.