A recipe from the Good Food collection.
50 g (1 3/4 oz/1/3 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
12 chicken drumsticks, about 2 kg (4 lb 8 oz) in total
80 ml (2 1/2 fl oz/1/3 cup) olive oil, approximately
4 rindless bacon slices, about 150 g (5 1/2 oz) in total, diced
2 leeks, white part only, rinsed well and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) white wine
250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) chicken stock
4 desiree potatoes, scrubbed and halved
200 g (7 oz) green beans, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
2. Put the flour in a bowl and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dust the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add the chicken in batches and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until golden all over, adding more oil as necessary. Remove to a plate.
4. Add the bacon, leek and tarragon to the dish and sauté for 5–6 minutes, or until the leek has softened. Increase the heat to high and stir in the wine using a wooden spoon, scraping up any stuck-on bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for 2–3 minutes, or until all the liquid has evaporated.
5. Return all the chicken to the pan with the stock. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Place the potatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with the remaining oil and season well. Transfer to the oven and roast with the chicken for another 50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are very tender. Season the chicken and potatoes to taste.
6. Just before serving time, bring a pot of water to the boil. Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes, or until tender. Drain well.
7. Serve the remaining drumsticks with the beans and roast potatoes.