Part-tiramisu and part-trifle, this simple, no-bake Christmas dessert is absolutely foolproof. The best bit? You can make it ahead and pull it out of the fridge when the family is ready for 'afters'.
6 eggs, separated
1 cup castor sugar
300ml thickened cream, lightly whipped
1 cup orange juice
½ cup mixed glacé fruits, to serve
½ cup shaved dark chocolate, to serve Macerated cherries
1½ cups pitted and halved cherries
¼ cup castor sugar
½ cup water
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar together until pale and doubled in size. Add mascarpone and cream and combine.
2. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold through the cream mixture.
3. Remove the crusts from panettone and cut into 5mm slices. Place on a tray and scatter liberally with orange juice.
4. For the macerated cherries, combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Spread a little of the cream mixture over the base of a deep serving dish or trifle mould. Add a layer of the panettone and then another layer of the cream. Repeat until all the ingredients are used, ensuring a cream layer is on top.
6. Smooth the top, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours until ready to serve.
To serve: scatter the top of the Chrissamisu with macerated cherries, glacé fruits and chocolate shavings.