A recipe from the Good Food collection.
250 g (9 oz) lasagne sheets
75 g (2½ oz/½ cup) grated mozzarella cheese
60 g (2¼ oz/½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) pouring (whipping) cream
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
60 g (2¼ oz) salted butter
40 g (1½ oz/1?3 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) milk
125 g (4½ oz/1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
500 g (1 lb 2 oz) minced (ground) beef
850 g (1 lb 14 oz) tinned chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons dry red wine
½ teaspoon ground oregano
¼ teaspoon ground basil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Brush a shallow ovenproof dish approximately 24 × 30 cm (9½ × 12 inches) with melted butter or oil. Line with lasagne sheets, breaking them to fill any gaps, and set aside.
2. To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and slowly add the milk, stirring until smooth. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese, season and set aside.
3. To make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and stir over low heat until the onion is tender. Add the minced beef and brown well, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Stir in the tomato, wine, oregano, basil and season. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Spoon one-third of the meat sauce over the lasagne sheets. Top with one-third of the cheese sauce. Arrange another layer of lasagne sheets over the top.
5. Continue layering, finishing with lasagne sheets. Sprinkle with the combined mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Pour the cream over the top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until golden.