Healthy lunchbox: These muffins are delicious warm and spread with butter, almond butter or a mix of tahini and honey.
800g peeled pumpkin cut into 2cm cubes
zest and juice of one orange
2 tbsp water
2 cups diced dried fruit such as dates, apricots, raisins and currants
¾ cup coconut flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt
3 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp concentrated natural vanilla extract
1 tbsp honey
½ tsp bicarb soda
desiccated coconut for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 175C. Place the pumpkin on a lined tray and roast for 35 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly and roughly mash with a fork. Should make about 1½ cups of mashed pumpkin.
2. Line 12 cups of a muffin pan with baking paper.
3. Place the juice, zest, water and dried fruit into a medium-sized saucepan. Cover.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low. Simmer for five minutes, checking to ensure the fruit does not stick to the base of your pan.
5. While the fruit is simmering, sift the coconut flour into a mixing bowl.
6. Add the cinnamon, ginger and salt.
7. Add the eggs and mix until well combined.
8. Add the mashed pumpkin. Combine.
9. Remove the fruit from the heat.
10. Add the coconut oil, vanilla and honey. Combine.
11. Add the bicarb soda. Combine.
12. Add the fruit mixture to the pumpkin mixture, combine.
13. Spoon the mixture evenly into your muffin cups.
14. Sprinkle with coconut and bake for 25-30 minutes.
15. Cool in the tray for five minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Eat and enjoy.
More healthy lunch box recipes from Bianca Slade are available from the Wholefood Simply website