These mouthwatering morsels have all the exotic flavours of the Middle East, including cinnamon, honey and pistachio nuts. In that part of the world, it is usual for pastries, many of which are made using filo pastry, to be doused in a rich, sweet syrup.
140 g (5 oz/1 cup) pistachios
140 g (5 oz/1 cup) walnut pieces
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
55 g (2 oz/¼ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
150 g (5½ oz) unsalted butter, chopped
1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
16 sheets filo pastry (each measuring 27.5 x 43 cm/11 x 17 inches)
30 g (1 oz/¼ cup) pistachios, extra, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place the pistachios, walnuts, cinnamon and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
2. Heat the butter in a small saucepan over low heat until just melted. Add the oil and set aside. Lay the filo pastry flat on a work surface and cover with a clean tea towel (dish towel), then a slightly damp tea towel to prevent it drying out. Take 1 sheet of pastry and place it flat on the work surface. Brush with a little of the butter mixture, then top with another sheet of filo. Repeat with 2 more sheets of filo, brushing each sheet with the butter mixture. Sprinkle over 70 g (2½ oz/½ cup) of the nut mix.
3. Cut the pastry stack in half lengthways, then cut each strip into 6 evenly sized rectangles. Working with one rectangle at a time and starting with a shorter edge, roll up tightly into a cigar shape. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Brush with a little more butter mixture. Repeat with the remaining filo pastry, nut mix and butter mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
4. Meanwhile, to make the syrup, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat.
5. Cool the filo rolls on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a large tray. Drizzle two-thirds of the syrup over the warm filo rolls, then allow them to cool to room temperature.
6. To serve, arrange the filo rolls on a serving platter, drizzle with the remaining syrup and sprinkle with the extra pistachios.