This soup makes a substantial first course or light meal. If you like, you could add some shredded poached chicken for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking, just to heat it through.
80 ml (2 1/2 fl oz/ 1/3 cup) olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces
125 g (4 1/2 oz) young green beans, trimmed and cut into small pieces
100 g (3 1/2 oz) sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
80 g (2 3/4 oz/1/2 cup) fresh or frozen peas
1.25 litres (44 fl oz/5 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
180 g (6 1/4 oz/3/4 cup) dried risoni
85 g (3 oz/ 1/3 cup) pesto
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat and gently cook the onion, celery and garlic until soft.
2. Divide the asparagus, beans, sugar snap peas and peas into two separate bowls. Add half of the vegetables to the saucepan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
4. Blend the vegetables and stock with a stick blender. Add the risoni and cook, uncovered, for approximately 7 minutes (or 3 minutes less than the recommended cooking time on the packet instructions).
5. Add the remaining vegetables, cook for 3-4 minutes, then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Divide among warmed bowls and serve topped with the pesto.