A recipe from the Good Food collection.
6 dried shiitake mushrooms
400 g fresh thick egg noodles
1 egg white, lightly beaten
3 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon crushed sichuan peppercorns
250 g firm white fish, cut into 2 cm cubes
200 g raw prawns, peeled, deveined and tails intact
3 tablespoons peanut oil
3 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
225 g can bamboo shoots, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine
¾ cup (185 ml) fish stock
1. Soak the mushrooms in ½ cup (125 ml) warm water for 20 minutes. Drain. Discard the stalk, then thinly slice the caps.
2. Cook the noodles in a saucepan of boiling water for 2–3 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
3. Blend the egg white, cornflour and half the pepper to a smooth paste. Dip the seafood into the mixture.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok. Drain the excess batter from the seafood. Stir-fry in batches over high heat until crisp and golden. Drain.
5. Clean the wok and heat the remaining oil. Toss the spring onion, garlic, ginger, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and remaining pepper over high heat for 1 minute. Stir in the chilli and soy sauces, rice wine, stock and noodles. Add the seafood and toss until heated through.