● The first Victorian branch of Neil Perry's Burger Project chain is beginning to take shape in the St Collins Lane development, where Australia on Collins was previously. Perry plans to open three outlets in Melbourne and will be hands-on when the doors open in March.
● Melburnians love Thai, Korean and Vietnamese cuisines, but the food of our nearest neighbour, East Timor, is a mystery to most. Former refugee Ana Saldanha, of Sabores de Timor (Flavours of Timor), will share recipes from her homeland at a cooking class at CERES in Brunswick East on November 28. It's $90 and money raised will help the medical aid charity East Timor Hearts Fund. Details: trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=164855
● Expect the thrill of the grill when the Hellenic Hotel finally opens in Williamstown next April. Chef Travis McAuley says wood-grilled seafood will be the main menu hook. He's also dangling the tantalising prospect of barbecues on the roof.
● Melbourne is spreading its specialty coffee tentacles into Indonesia, with St Ali's Salvatore Malatesta collaborating with local coffee house Common Grounds on a cafe in Jakarta. Chef Andrew Gale will be exported to see to the food at the new Jalan Rasuna Said location, while St Ali baristas Matt Perger and Ben Morrow will oversee the coffee. Opening later this year.
● Mornington Peninsula winery restaurant Terre has closed. But there's good news for fans of Rowan and Janine Herrald's cooking. They've expanded Cook & Norman, the Flinders trattoria they own with fellow Royal Mail alumnus Clinton Trevisi, to include a cafe. Known as Cook & Norman Sorellina ("little sister" in Italian), the cafe serves breakfast and lunch with a gentle Italian accent. Open Thu-Sun at 52 Cook Street, Flinders.
● Radio Mexico is bringing chilaquiles to Northcote. The south-of-the-border breakfast dish, made with hand-cut corn chips, salsa, barbecued pork belly or frijoles and topped with a fried egg, will star on the breakfast menu when Radio Mexico Norte expands its opening hours in December. Meanwhile, it's open Mon and Wed-Fri from 5pm and Sat-Sun from 4pm.