Celebrate the fruit that can do no wrong with this banana cake. The slight iron-rich flavour of raw molasses sugar, chocolate and cocoa offsets the sweetness of the banana.
75g dark chocolate, 50 per cent cocoa, chopped
150g unsalted cold butter, cubed
225g peeled and mashed banana, about 3 small ones
175g molasses sugar
3 eggs (60g each)
3 tsp vanilla extract
125g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
Honey chocolate sauce
75ml double cream
125ml semi-skimmed milk
25g cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate, chopped
1. Line the base and sides of a loaf tin, about 25cm by 11cm, with non-stick paper.
2. Put the chocolate and butter in a mixing bowl.
3. In a saucepan, stir and bring to the boil the banana, sugar and milk, mashing it together as you go then pour this hot liquid into the mixing bowl with the chocolate and butter. Stir together until the butter and chocolate melt and cool the banana mixture.
4. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, then add the flour, cocoa and baking powder and fold through evenly. Bake at 180C (160°C fan) for about 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer poked in comes out clean.
5. To make the honey chocolate sauce, put the cream, milk, cocoa and honey in a saucepan, whisk until smooth then bring to the boil, stirring well. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted. Add a little boiling water if needed to thin the consistency. Allow to cool and spread over the top of the cake.