Julie Meek has worked as the dietitian for the Fremantle Dockers and the Perth Wildcats. Today she shares one of her favourite recipe to create a healthy but delicious afternoon snack.
There are some recipes that just about everyone loves and I think that the good old lemon and coconut slice is one of them.
It is the perfect marriage of buttery biscuit base with a zesty lemon topping, scattered with coconut.
This delicious slice is a staple at afternoon teas, bakeries, high teas and grandparents' abodes.
Of course, this moorish treat is not something one should eat every single day but imagine if there was a healthier alternative that tastes just as delicious but is low in sugar, full of healthy fats and has a secret anti-inflammatory ingredient.
I'm not teasing, because I have just the thing that ticks both the nutrition and taste boxes.
Below is what you need along with the steps to make it.
Lemon and Coconut Slice
- 200g raw unsalted cashews
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Juice and rind of one lemon
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and whiz together until well combined.
- Press into a 15 x 20cm lined container and chill overnight.
- Cut into 12 pieces and serve.
Turmeric might seem like a strange ingredient to add to a sweet recipe, but because it doesn't have an overpowering flavour, it works.
Although traditionally used in curries and savoury dishes, in recent times turmeric has found a new place in golden hued lattes, teas, tonics and smoothies in many cafes around the globe.
The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin and it is this compound that has been linked to many health benefits:
- Natural anti-inflammatory properties which can assist with inflammatory related disease
- Powerful antioxidant
- Possible breakdown of the amyloid plaques in the brain that contribute to dementia and Alzheimer's Disease
- Some research shows that curcumin may help to prevent some cancers by reducing the size and number of tumour's
- Helps to fight colds and flu's
- Assists with digestion by increasing the production of bile
- Possible decrease in blood sugar levels in diabetics.
The other great thing about this lemon and coconut slice is the healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats and the bundle of resistant starch that comes with the cashews.