A recipe from the Good Food collection.
310 ml (10¾ fl oz/1¼ cups) pouring (whipping) cream
85 g (3 oz/ 2/3 cup) icing (confectioners') sugar
4 eggs, separated
60 ml (2 fl oz/¼ cup) Amaretto
80 g (2¾ oz/½ cup) blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
8 amaretti biscuits (cookies), crushed fresh berries or extra Amaretto, to serve
1. Whip the cream until firm peaks form, then cover and refrigerate.
2. Line a 22 × 10 × 4 cm (8½ × 4 × 1½ inch) loaf (bar) tin with plastic wrap so that it overhangs the two long sides.
3. Beat the icing sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until firm peaks form.
4. Stir the Amaretto, almonds and crushed biscuits into the egg yolk mixture, then carefully fold in the chilled cream and the egg whites until well combined. Carefully pour or spoon into the lined tin and cover with the overhanging plastic. Freeze for 4 hours, or until frozen but not rock hard.
5. Serve the semifreddo cut into slices, perhaps with your favourite fresh fruit or a drizzle of Amaretto.