This unusual jam is always a bestseller at the local primary school fair. It is based on my friend Angela's recipe and is perfect with cheese, or dolloped on sausages.
1kg (8-10) brown onions
2 tbsp olive oil
75g mustard seeds
400ml red wine vinegar
300ml sweet chilli sauce
- Peel onions, cut in half and slice thinly.
- Cook onions with small amount of olive oil until softened.
- Add sugar and mix until dissolved.
- Add mustard seeds, vinegar and sweet chilli sauce.
- Boil until reduced and thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Pour into sterilised jars, wipe with vinegar and seal.
Makes about 6 x 250ml jars