For something more substantial for a picnic, I seek help from a time-saving hero – the pre-cooked barbecue chicken – to fill a few baguettes.
1 barbecue chicken
150g (½ cup) store-bought mayonnaise
handful of finely chopped chives
zest and juice of 1 lime
extra virgin olive oil
1 corn cob
butter, for spreading
baby gem or cos lettuce leaves
1. Shred a whole barbecue chicken (easiest while it is still warm) and set it aside in a bowl. I chop up skin, too, add it to the meat, but discard the stuffing. Feel free to mix the stuffing with the meat if that's your thing.
2. Make a quick lime mayonnaise by mixing the mayonnaise, chives, lime zest and juice, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Season it with salt and pepper, then set aside.
3. Grill the corn until cooked and slightly charred and then shave off the kernels with a knife.
4. To assemble, split two baguettes lengthwise and open them like a door. Butter the bottom half of the baguette and cover it with a layer of baby gem or cos lettuce leaves. Top with the shredded chicken and grilled corn and spoon the mayonnaise on top. Season with sea salt and pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
5. Cut the baguettes in two, wrap in baking paper, tie with string and pack away, ready for the picnic basket.