Easy beef pies with scrunched-up filo pastry lids.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
500g swiss brown mushrooms, halved
1kg lean beef mince
280g jar quality caramelised onion jam
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
10g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup boiling water
400g can cherry tomatoes, chopped
12 sheets fresh filo pastry
1 tbsp crushed pink peppercorns (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200C fan-forced (220C conventional). Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the beef mince and cook, breaking up large lumps with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes, or until just coloured. Add the onion jam, mustard, porcini and cooking liquid and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6 minutes.
3. Spoon the mixture into 4 x 1½ cup-capacity ramekins and place on a large baking tray.
4. Brush the sheets of filo with extra oil, loosely scrunch and place on top of the pies. Sprinkle with peppercorns, if using.
5. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until filo is golden.