I always think salads make or break an Aussie Christmas spread. This is perfect for our summer.
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra if needed
• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 6 heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
• 6 cups mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
• ½ cup green olives, pitted
• salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 1 whole sourdough loaf
• ½ cup pesto
• 3 cups rocket leaves
• 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn
• 150g marinated feta, drained
Combine ¼ cup of olive oil with the red wine vinegar, tomatoes and olives and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 10 minutes at room temperature.
When ready to serve, heat a barbecue grill over medium heat. Cut the sourdough into thirds horizontally, creating three thick slices, each the size of the whole loaf, and drizzle liberally with the remaining olive oil (use extra if needed). Grill the bread on both sides until well toasted. Place the bread onto a large cutting/serving board and roughly spread with a few spoons of pesto. Scatter with the rocket, basil, feta and tomatoes. Drizzle with a little olive oil and add a grind of black pepper.