Brioche buns wrapped around crunchy juicy chicken thighs and served with tangy slaw.
4 chicken thighs (about 200g each), halved
½ cup buttermilk
¼ cup chipotle chillies in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 cup plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt flakes
½ tsp cracked black pepper
4 brioche burger buns, lightly toasted
2 cups store-bought beetroot slaw
1 cup pickles, sliced, plus 1/4 cup pickling juice
⅓ cup Kewpie (Japanese style) mayonnaise
1. Place the chicken, buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the chipotle chillies in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full with oil and place over medium heat until the temperature reaches 180C on a deep-frying thermometer.
3. Meanwhile, place the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag and toss to combine. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture, allowing any excess liquid to drip off. Place in the bag and shake to toss.
4. Fry the chicken, in batches, for 5-6 minutes or until crisp, golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel and keep warm.
5. Mix the mayonnaise with remaining chipotle chillies and spread onto the buns. Toss the slaw with the pickling liquid and place on the buns. Top with chicken and pickles. Sandwich and serve.