A lighter, fruitier Aussie spin on the traditional Viennetta; heavy on the mango and passionfruit. Buy the best quality sorbets and ice-cream you can afford.
175g dark chocolate
1 litre mango sorbet
1½ litres vanilla bean ice-cream
500ml passionfruit sorbet
flesh of 3 small passionfruits
½ cup honeycomb chunks
3 tbsp dark chocolate chunks
edible flowers (optional)
1. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water), and stir until smooth and melted.
3. Thinly spread the melted chocolate over the baking paper, in three wide strips, each roughly the length and width of a 25cm loaf pan. Chill until ready to use.
4. Line a 25cm loaf tin with clingwrap, ensuring there is plenty of overhang on the sides.
5. Remove the mango sorbet from the freezer, allow it to soften slightly, and scoop it into the base of tin. Spread the sorbet to create a smooth, flat surface, cover with a chocolate shard and place in the freezer to firm up for 20 minutes.
6. Repeat with half the vanilla ice-cream and another chocolate shard, before returning to the freezer for 20 minutes.
7. Soften the passionfruit sorbet, scoop into the tin and spread smoothly. Top this layer with the passionfruit flesh – it adds a tart surprise to the sweet layers – followed by the final chocolate shard. Return to the freezer for another 20 minutes.
8. Finally add the remaining vanilla ice-cream to the loaf tin, level the surface and freeze until firm and ready to serve.
9. Remove the loaf tin from the freezer about five minutes before serving. Carefully turn out onto a platter and top the log with raspberries, honeycomb, chocolate and edible flowers (if using).