You can use any vegetables you like for this simple one-pan roast accompaniment. It's a bit like bubble and squeak, without having to wait for leftovers.
• 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
• 50g butter, plus extra if needed
• 1 brown onion, diced
• 2 zucchini, cut into 1cm pieces
• 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
• 2 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
• 1 small red capsicum, cut into 1cm pieces
• ¼ butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
• salt and black pepper, to season
• 2 cups shredded cheese
Place the potato and sweet potato cubes into a large bowl and cover with a plate. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. You don't need to add any water.
Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat and add the onion, zucchini, carrot, broccoli, capsicum and pumpkin and fry until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potato and sweet potato and fry for a further 2-3 minutes, adding extra butter if the mixture looks too dry. Season with salt and pepper. Lightly press the mixture into the pan to form a crispy base, scatter with the cheese and transfer to an oven grill for about 3 minutes until the cheese is browned. Serve straight from the pan.
Serve with: Adam Liaw's roast beef with Joe's gravy
Find more of Adam Liaw's recipes in the Good Food Favourite Recipes cookbook.