For most dishes, spices work well when they aren't dominant but rather are used sparingly to enhance the other ingredients. The smoky paprika adds another layer of complexity to the peppery flavours from the capsicum in this simple tray-baked chicken dish.
4 cloves garlic
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground fennel seeds
1½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ cup olive oil
8 chicken thigh cutlets, thigh bone in
1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
1 yellow capsicum, seeds removed and cut into 2cm thick slices
1 red capsicum, seeds removed and cut into 2cm thick slices
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, to serve
1. Finely chop the garlic and, using the flat of the knife, squash the garlic and salt together on the board to create a paste.
2. Combine the garlic paste with the pepper, fennel, smoked paprika and olive oil and rub all over the chicken cutlets. Allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
3. Heat your oven to 200C and line a large baking dish with baking paper.
4. Scatter the onion and capsicums on the base of the baking dish and place the thigh cutlets skin up on top. Pour over any remaining marinade.
5. Bake for 45 minutes until the cutlets are cooked through and the skin is brown and crisp. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.