This super-tasty salad is perfect for a summer afternoon – just add a crisp white wine and crusty bread. If you want to make it really simple, replace the poached chicken with a bought roast chook or cooked king prawns.
2 small skinless chicken breasts (about 225g each)
For the walnut dressing
¼ tsp sea salt
2 tsp Dijon mustard
150ml walnut oil
juice of 2 limes
freshly ground white pepper
For the salad
1 small head white witlof, cut into wedges
½ head radiccio, cut into wedges
1 baby cos, leaves, cut into wedges
1 small bunch chives, finely chopped
½ cup of parsley leaves
freshly ground black pepper
2 large avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 1cm dice
1. Prepare the dressing by placing all the ingredients in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid and shake.
2. To cook the chicken, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, plunge the breasts in, then immediately remove pot from the heat and allow the water to cool (takes about 1 hour). Remove the breasts. They should shred easily.
3. Place the leaves in a stainless-steel bowl and dress with a third of the dressing. Divide leaves between 4 plates.
4. Add the chicken, chives, parsley, salt and freshly ground pepper to the bowl and dress with enough dressing to coat well (about 100ml), then divide between plates.
5. Add avocado to the bowl and dress with a tablespoon of dressing. Sprinkle the avocado over the plates, then serve.