Whether you are virtuously organised, leaving the chicken to wallow about in the marinade for a good four hours, or do a quick one-two dump into the roasting tray – both work a treat. Use a peeler for the sweet potato ribbons, you need them to be nice and thin, so they cook thoroughly and crisp around the edges in the short time the chicken is roasting.
600g skinless chicken thighs
60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp freshly ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium sweet potato, sliced into strips using a peeler (about 1½ cups)
4-5 leaves cavolo nero
35g (¼ cup) dried cranberries
100g (½ cup) Persian-style feta
80g (½ cup) smoked almonds, roughly chopped
½ cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 175C (155C fan-forced).
2. Add the chicken, olive oil, honey, spices and garlic to a deep roasting tray and swirl around to coat. Spread out the chicken and ensure the thighs are flat not rolled. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Add the sweet potato strips and toss them a little in the marinade on the tray. Pop the tray in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Quickly open the oven door and add the cavolo nero leaves and give the tray a good shake. Cook for another 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is nice and brown on top, the cavolo nero is crisp and the edges of the sweet potato take on a bit of a char.
5. Remove from the oven and scatter over the cranberries, feta, almonds and coriander. Season to taste and serve.