I'm too impatient, and if I am being honest, too disorganised for meal planning. Those who meal plan for the week ahead blow my mind. So, I need a marinade that works in 15 minutes or something that can safely lurk in the back of my fridge for a few days before I get to it again. This Greek chicken is all those things.
500g chicken thighs
150g haloumi, sliced 1-2cm thick
5 tbsp olive oil
½ tbsp sweet smoked paprika
2 tbsp chopped oregano
1 tsp chopped marjoram (optional)
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
zest and juice of 1 lemon
hefty pinch of red chilli flakes (Aleppo pepper flakes if you have them)
salt and pepper
Sweet potato fries
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into long chips
2 tsp dried oregano (preferably Greek)
1½ tbsp olive oil
400g sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup pitted kalamata olives
1 lebanese cucumber, sliced or peeled into ribbons
1 tsp dried oregano
warm pita, naan, or flat bread to serve
1. Add the chicken and marinade ingredients to a bowl, mix together and set aside while you prep the remaining ingredients, or cover and place in the fridge until you are ready to cook. It can sit for up to four days.
2. Preheat oven to 180C.
3. Quickly toss the salad ingredients in a small bowl and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
4. Place the sweet potato pieces on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle over the oregano and the olive oil and, using your hands, toss to coat. Place in the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time. They should be cooked through and starting to colour at the edges.
5. Place a frypan over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken thighs, a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove and place in one large bowl or individual bowls ready for serving. Add the haloumi slices to the frypan and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 1 minute on each side or until crisp and golden.
6. Add the haloumi to the bowl/s along with the sweet potato fries and some salad. Season generously with salt and pepper, and serve.