A recipe from the Good Food collection.
3 day-old croissants
1 tbsp sugar
2½ tbsp cream
1½ tbsp freshly made espresso coffee, cooled
200ml maple syrup
300g jar pitted black cherries in syrup, drained
icing sugar, sifted, for dusting
1. Trim the top off each croissant to flatten the surface, then cut in half lengthways into 2.5cm thick slices.
2. Place the eggs, sugar, cream and 1 tablespoon of the coffee in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
3. Melt a little of the butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, dip the croissant slices in the egg mixture, coating both sides and draining off excess. Cook for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining butter and croissant slices, keeping the cooked croissants warm.
4. Meanwhile, heat the maple syrup in a small saucepan over low heat to warm through. Add the cherries and the remaining coffee, cook for 1 minute to heat through, then remove from the heat.
5. Place two croissant slices on a plate and top with the cherries and maple syrup. Dust with the icing sugar and serve immediately.