A recipe from the Good Food collection.
125g unsalted butter, softened
370g (2 cups) soft brown sugar
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
60g (⅓ cup) chopped good-quality dark chocolate, melted
80ml (⅓ cup) milk
340g (2¾ cups) plain flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice
85g (⅔ cup) chopped pecans
icing sugar, for dusting
1. Using electric beaters, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla, chocolate and milk.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, allspice and a pinch of salt into the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the pecans, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease two baking trays.
4. Sift the icing sugar onto a plate. Roll tablespoons of the cookie mixture into balls, then roll each one in the icing sugar to coat. Place on the baking trays, spacing them well apart to allow for spreading.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until lightly browned and just firm. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the trays for 3–4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Crackle cookies will keep for 1 week, stored in a cool place in an airtight container, or can be frozen for up to 3 months.